Running With Scissors: Healthblogging overload

Posted at 8:38 AM Oct 23, 2009

By Kiala Kazebee

thin-poster.jpg
918 percent of American women* suffer from some sort of disordered eating pattern. (Notice how the term "disordered eating" is gentler and less BULIMIA OH MY GOD BULIMIA  than "eating disorder". I'm sensitive this way.)

The extreme pressure for women to be perfect in our culture has spawned hundreds of lady blogs geared towards "healthy living," where every morsel of kale is photographed and documented and wrapped up like a neat little internet grenade lobbed at your psyche, ladies. And this is where it gets sneaky. Yes, it's great to focus on "health" and "fitness" as opposed to "skinny" and "beautiful." I'm all for women allowing themselves to eat (gasp!) all their meals without "guilt" but, internet, please, keeping a public journal of every workout and foodstuff that passes your lips IS NOT HEALTHY. Does it work in terms of losing weight? Probably. Is it good that women are learning how to eat actual food? Yes, of course. Has it become just another way for women to berate themselves when they eat the "wrong thing" or feel virtuous because they ate the "right thing"? Fuck yes, it definitively has.

I'm obviously entrenched in the "this is terrible for women" camp on this issue so in an effort to redeem my journalistic integrity (snort) I'll be rounding up the week's dangerously healthy blogging blogs for you to judge for yourself. And also because, yes, poking fun at perfectionism is my raison d'etre. My RAISIN OF FETA. Wouldn't that be an excellent name for a food blog? THE IRONY.

A sampling to get us started:

• "I love the feeling of having a whole day's worth of healthy meals and snacks already prepared. I just have to eat them and my day will be super healthy!" -Kath Eats
  • Kath is the Godfather of all healthy food bloggers. Pass the tiny nibble of cannoli.
  • "My prize after yoga was a hot bowl of almond butter with a side of oats"- Jenna of Eatliverun. I love oatmeal and yoga, too but let's not get delusional. Neither one is a prize. A prize is cash money. This is SCIENCE FACT.
  • Fitnessista. I think the title says it all. If the words "Mama" or "Fun" were added,  I'd probably take a hold of the internet, fashion it into a shiv, and stab myself with it. Hard.

*Completely made up statistic. I'm like Fox News over here. HEY-O!

Comments

Red said:

Dude, word. Obsessing over food and exercise is just as harmful as not eating at all. Why can't we all just give ourselves and effing break?

Red said:

Er..."an" effing break.

bridget pilloud said:

I think there is a scary crossroads of narcissism and health obsession that requires people to talk like this.

what's the real message they are sending..

I'm better than you.
I'm going to say its great, but it really sucks.
Yay Me!

What?

I like real weight advice, like from Bridgette Boudreau, who says things like, "If more than 10% of your happiness comes from what you eat, you might want to think about your life".

I'm paraphrasing here, but that's helpful to me. Not this other stuff. Not helpful.

David said:

To be fair, healthy living to some people is a lot like being born-again christian: You bug the hell out of everyone else and don't realize it.

@ David- LMAO

I will never understand the appeal. Narcissistic for sure, but also dangerous.... think of how much time is spent think about, preparing, writing about, photographing, etc each and every meal. Isn't that obsession in itself a definition of an eating disorder? Do any of these people actually have jobs? Or a life?

gizella said:

personally, I don't find it all that compelling to read about. I really don't care if you put almond butter in your oatmeal. Or have an eating disorder. It took me a long time to get over mine, the less time spent reading about others' the better. I do think obsession is an eating disorder, if you are thinking that much about calories etc. That is not to say that I don't think about what goes in me, where I buy my food etc, that's the new foodie. But I don't blog about my lunches etc. Why don't they blog about the vomiting?

In other news, I sat next to some folks at a wedding that took photos of every meal they ate. Fun people!

Kiala said:

Interesting to note. These bloggers moderate their comments now (KathEats and Eatliverun, I mean) but before they did, a vast majority of the commenters admitted to past and present eating disorders.

Those kinds of comments are no longer allowed, it seems.

Hmm...

Anonymous said:

Nice article. I thought to let you know that you website isn't getting displayed properly on skyfire browser on my mobile phone.

I wish that more and more number of webmasters would reckon the fact that there is an ever growing number of users browsing webpages on the mobile.
Best Wishes

Anonymous said:

Nice post. I thought to let you know that you website isn't getting displayed properly on msie-mobile browser on my mobile phone.

I wish that more and more number of web masters would reckon the fact that there is an ever growing number of users browsing webpages on the mobile.
Regards